When using the Stripe Payments Plugin, the admin has the ability to set a limited quantity for the product which they create. This enables business owners to ensure that customers can only ever purchase as many of the items/services that they have to offer. Setting limited quantity is achieved on a per-product basis from the ‘product creation’ page which we will look at in more detail below.
How Can I Set a Limited (Maximum) Quantity for my Products?
Before you begin, ensure you have the latest version of the Stripe Payments Plugin installed and activated on your WordPress website.
- Click on the ‘Add New Product‘ button found underneath the ‘Stripe Payments‘ menu.
- Complete the product creation by giving your product a title, description, price, and thumbnail image. You can find out more about general product creation here.
- Within the ‘Quantity and Stock‘ section of the product creation page is where you can specify a limited quantity for your product. This is basically the absolute total amount of the product that you wish to sell (or have in stock at that point).
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Enable stock control‘.
- Enter the quantity you have available (your limited quantity) into the ‘Quantity Available‘ field. For example, if I was selling t-shirts and I had a limited amount of 5, then I would type the numeral ‘5’ into this field.
- If you wish for your customers to see the total amount of the product/service you have available within the payment popup window, mark the checkbox next to ‘Show the available quantity in the payment popup‘.
- ‘Publish‘ out your product.
Limited Quantity in the Payment Popup Window
If you choose to ‘Show the available quantity in the payment popup‘ window, then the customers will see a current total of the amount left of the product they are wishing to purchase once they click the ‘Buy Now’ button and the payment popup window appears. Towards the top of the payment popup window, there is a notice that reads: Available Quantity: “x”. This is demonstrated in the screenshot below.
If a customer tries to exceed the limited quantity by entering a number greater than the available amount of that particular product they will be shown a notice letting them know. The total amount of stock left that they can purchase will also be displayed.
What Happens When a Customer Purchases an Item with a Limited Quantity?
Each time a product with a limited quantity is purchased the total available tally decreases depending on how many the customer purchases. Once a successful sale has been completed for an item with a limited quantity, the total available number will decrease. You can view the current stock number by:
- Clicking on the ‘Product‘ menu found under ‘Stripe Payments‘ in your WordPress dashboard.
- Locating the product in question and drawing your attention to the ‘Stock‘ column.
- It is within the stock column that the current total number of a product can be found. This is demonstrated in the screenshot below.
The number of stock visible in the products menu will be displayed in the payment popup window to your customers if you have chosen to enable that feature.