If you have a physical product that you will need to ship to the customer you may need to collect their address. By default, when you use the Stripe Payments Plugin to sell goods/services, your customer’s name and email address is collected by default, where as you can choose whether or not to collect address.
Some administrators collect billing information so that they can send a physical product to the customer while others wish to know what country and city their main customer base is from so that they can further target this audience with products and services. For a small business that like to send a thank you alongside the product, knowing the customer’s name can allow you to add a personal touch.
When you use the Stripe Payments Plugin, your customer’s name and email will be collected at a minimum. If you wish to collect billing/shipping details, you will need to enable the appropriate field in the product creation/edit page.
How Can I Collect My Customers Name and Address?
The name and address of your customers can be specified on a per product basis. For example, for one product you sell, you may need to collect address and name while another product is digital and you do not require these extra details. For this reason, for each product you require shipping/billing details for, you will need to ensure the appropriate checkbox is marked.
- Edit the product you wish to collect customer’s names and addresses for. This page can be found by clicking on Stripe Payments then on Products and then clicking the Edit button for the product in question.
- On the Edit Product page, scroll down until you see the Collect Address section.
- Ensure the ‘Collect Address on Checkout‘ checkbox is marked.
- Then decide if you wish to collect ‘Billing and Shipping Addresses‘ or just the ‘Billing Address‘ by selecting the appropriate radio button.
- Click the Update button to ensure the changes you have made will be applied.
- Complete a test checkout of the product to ensure the details you want is being collected.
Type of Address Collection
Collecting Both Billing and Shipping Address
When you choose to collect both the billing and shipping address, your customers can choose to enter two separate addresses or mark the checkbox to indicate that their billing address is the same as their shipping address. The customers will also be asked for their name and email address.
Collecting Billing Address Only
When you choose to collect the customer’s billing address only, they will only need to enter one address. A field where they can enter there name and their email address will also be present.
Collecting Neither Shipping Nor Billing Details
If you do not choose to select billing and/or shipping details your customer will not be asked for their address. They will only be presented fields to enter their name and their email address.
If you realize you require an address for one of your previously created products, you will need to go back and edit the product in question.
Where Can I Locate my Customer’s Name and Address?
If your customer has completed a successful purchase on your website of a product you have created using the Stripe Payment Plugin their email address will be recorded. If you have chosen to collect the customer’s billing and/or shipping information, these details will also be recorded. These details can be found under the ‘Orders‘ menu.
- Within your WordPress dashboard, click on the ‘Orders‘ menu under ‘Stripe Payments‘.
- You will see the orders listed one after another here that have been completed on your website.
- Click on the order. This will bring you to the ‘Edit Order‘ page.
- Scroll down on this page and you will see your customers details under the ‘Customer Details‘ heading.
- Your customers name, email along with shipping and billing details can be found here.