If you have a physical product that you will need to ship to the customer you may need to collect their name and more importantly their address. Furthermore, some website owners wish to collect the name of the customer for other reasons such as database entry. Knowing what country and city your main customer base is from can help you further target this audience with products and services. For small business that like to send a thank you alongside the product, knowing the customer’s name can allow you to add a personal touch.
How Can I Ensure My Customers Name and Address will be Collected?
The name and address of your customer can be specified on a per product basis. For example, for one product you sell you may need to collect address and name while another product is digital and you do not require these extra details. For this reason, for each product you require shipping/billing details for, you will need to ensure the appropriate checkbox is marked.
- Click the ‘Edit Product‘ page for the product you wish to collect customer’s names and addresses for. This page can be found by clicking on ‘Stripe Payments‘ then on ‘Products‘ and then clicking the ‘Edit‘ button for the product in question.
- On the ‘Edit Product‘ page, scroll down until you see the ‘Collect Address‘ section.
- Ensure the ‘Collect Address on Checkout‘ checkbox is marked.
- Then decide if you wish to collect ‘Billing and Shipping Addresses‘ or just the ‘Billing Address‘ by marking the appropriate check circle.
- Click the ‘Update‘ button to ensure the changes you have made will be applied.
- Complete a test checkout of the product to ensure the details you require will be requested.
Type of Address Collection
Collecting Both Billing and Shipping Address
When you choose to collect billing and shipping address, your customer can choose to enter two separate addresses or mark the checkbox to indicate that their billing address is the same as their shipping address. The customer will also be asked for their name.
Collecting Billing Address Only
When you choose to collect the customer’s billing address only, they will only need to enter one address. A field where they can enter there name will also be present.
Collecting Neither Shipping or Billing Details
If you do not choose to select shipping and billing or just billing details your customer will not be asked for their address or their name. It is important that if you need their name and address that you mark the appropriate checkbox when configuring a product. If you realize you require an address for one of your previously created products, you will need to go back and edit the product in question.
Where Can I Locate my Customer’s Name and Address?
If your customer has completed a successful purchase on your website of a product you have created using the Stripe Payment Plugin their address details and name will be recorded. These details can be found under the ‘Orders‘ menu.
- Within your WordPress dashboard, click on the ‘Orders‘ menu under ‘Stripe Payments‘.
- You will see the orders listed one after another here that have been completed on your website.
- Click on the order. This will bring you to the ‘Edit Order‘ page.
- Scroll down on this page and you will see your customers details under the ‘Customer Details‘ heading.
- Your customers name along with shipping and billing details can be found here.