Once you have created a product you may want to run a transaction to ensure everything is working correctly. The Stripe Payments Plugin comes with a feature that enables you to run a trial transaction using your test Stripe keys.
Follow this documentation if you would like to complete a test transaction of any products or services created using the Stripe Payments plugin.
Step 1) Locating Your Test Stripe Keys
To run a test transaction you will first need to locate and copy your stripe test keys. These can be found in your Stripe account.
- Log in to your Stripe account.
- Click on the API menu (the API menu can be found towards the bottom left-hand-side).
- You will see a section for test data. There will be two keys: Your account’s ‘Publishable Key’ and the ‘Secret Key’.
Step 2) Configuring General Settings
Now that you have located your test API keys in your Stripe account, you will need to copy and paste these into the settings of your Stripe Payments Plugin.
- In your admin dashboard, click on the settings tab under the Stripe Payments menu.
- Once you are in General Settings, scroll towards the bottom. You will see a section titled ‘Credentials’.
- Ensure you are running your site in test mode. The box next to ‘Live Mode’ should be left unchecked to trial test transactions.
- Copy your test Stripe Publishable Key from your account and paste it into the Test Stripe Publishable Key field.
- Complete the same for your Test Stripe Secret Key. Copy it from your Stripe account and paste it into the required field in the settings. Ensure you paste the secret key and publishable key into the correct field.
- Save the changes you have made. You will now be able to complete a test transaction on your website.
Step 3) Completing a Test Transaction
Using a product you have created and published you can complete a test transaction. This can be useful if you would like to ensure the product transaction is working successfully before you open your site for real life customer payments.
- Click the ‘Buy Now’ for a product available on your website.
- Once you click the payment button, the Stripe popup will appear.
- In the Stripe popup you will need to enter in an email address.
- The card number you will need to use for testing purposes is: 4242 4242 4242 4242
- The expiry date of your card can be any date in the future. The date is the month, followed by the year. If today is the 01/18, your expiry for a test transaction can be 02/18.
- The CVC will always be ‘123’ for a test transaction.
- Click the ‘Pay’ button as you would if you were a real customer.
- You have now completed a test transaction on your website. You will be redirected to the successful payment results page.
For Testing Purposes:
Card Number: 4242 4242 4242 4242
Expiry Date: Any future date – month/year