Note: Stripe no longer offers the bitcoin checkout option. So this is no longer relevant.
The Stripe Payments Plugin has an addon that allows you to accept Bitcoin payments on your website. Successful Bitcoin transactions will show up in your Stripe account (Bitcoin will be transferred into a dollar value once it reaches your account).
Click here to find out more and/or to purchase the Additional Payment Methods Addon. This addon allows you to accept Bitcoin, Pay with Google and Apple Pay transactions. You can choose to enable one, two or all of the additional payment methods.
In this tutorial I will show you how to setup the addon so you can accept Bitcoin on your WordPress site.
Accepting Bitcoin on Your Website
For any products that you create using the Stripe Payments Plugin, you can choose to start accepting Bitcoin as payment (once you have activated the additional payments addon). To begin accepting Bitcoin, ensure that you have configured the settings of this addon.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ menu of the ‘Stripe Payments’ plugin.
- Under the ‘Additional Payment Methods’ tab is where you will find all the fields that you can customize for this addon.
- Ensure you have marked the checkbox to accept Bitcoin payments.
Why are People Choosing to Accept Bitcoin Payments?
Most people are familiar with ‘Apple Pay’and ‘Pay with Google’ although Bitcoin Cryptocurrency is an upcoming payment trend that is taking off quickly around the world. Some reasons that people are now accepting Bitcoin payments include:
- No chargebacks
- Ease of international payments
- Greater fraud prevention
How will my Customers Pay Using Bitcoin?
Once you have enabled Bitcoin payments after activating the addon, your customers will be able to use their Bitcoin wallet to pay for goods/services on your website.
Before activating this plugin your customers were only given the option to pay with credit card. Now your customers will be shown two tabs in the Stripe Payments popup: one for credit card payments and another tab where they can proceed using Bitcoin as payment.
- Click the ‘Buy Now’ button for any product created using the Stripe Payments plugin.
- The Stripe Payments popup window will appear. You will notice another tab labelled Bitcoin.
- Once you click on this tab you will need to enter your Bitcoin payment information. This will include the address of your Bitcoin wallet.
- Checkout as per usual.
Examples: Bitcoin Payment Tab / Bitcoin Email (note: these images were taken in test mode)
Example: Successful Bitcoin Transaction
Additional Usage Information
Eliminating Bitcoin Payment as an Option for Singular Products
When you enable Bitcoin globally on your website, you are still able to choose to eliminate this payment option on particular products. For instance, you may have 8 products on your website where you would like to offer Bitcoin payments although have 2 products where you would like your customers to pay using their credit card. In this case you can use the following instructions to exclude certain products from Bitcoin transactions:
- Find the page/post where you have listed the shortcode of your product.
- To ensure that Bitcoin transactions are not permitted for this product you will need to add an extra parameter to the shortcode.
- Simple enter the following parameter into your product shortcode:
Example: Your Shortcode Should Look Similar to the Following
[asp_product id=”487″ bitcoin=”0″]
Example: Checkout for a Product Where Bitcoin Payment is Excluded (No Bitcoin Tab Available)
- To accept Bitcoin on your website you must have your Stripe currency set to USD. You can configure this in your Stripe account.
- To use the ‘Additional Payment Methods Addon’ your website must have an SSL certificate.
Q. How much Bitcoin will my customers be charged?
A. This plugin automatically determines the rate of Bitcoin equivalent to the dollar value you have set at the time of purchase.
Q. How will the Bitcoin show up in my Stripe account?
A. This addon allows customers to pay using Bitcoin although you will receive the payment in your Stripe account in the form of a dollar value.
Q. Where can I get the Additional Payment Methods Addon?
A. You can get the addon from this page.
Note: Stripe no longer offers the bitcoin checkout option. So this documentation is no longer relevant.